Friday, August 5, 2011

NEWS.FORD READY FOR ACTION

RUGBY UNION NEWS
FORD READY FOR ACTION
Ross Ford is ready to resume full-blown combat in tomorrow's EMC Test with Ireland after being refreshed by his extended absence.
The 27-year-old Edinburgh hooker was one of five Scotland players withdrawn from club service after the RBS 6 Nations, with the forthcoming Rugby World Cup in mind, but will pack down at Murrayfield for his first action since the victory over Italy on March 19.
Allan Jacobsen and Richie Gray will also start this weekend, while Alastair Kellock has been named on the bench and John Barclay has been left out of the 22 altogether.
And Ford is relishing a return to the Test arena, with Scotland seeking to avenge the 21-18 loss to Ireland in February.
He told Press Association Sport: "I'm excited to get on with it now.
"We've put in a lot of hard work over the past six to eight weeks. We're now looking forward to putting everything we've been doing into practice.
"It was a close game in the Six Nations. I'm excited to see how we've developed from there and I'm just looking forward to getting a hit out against another team.
"It's a good benchmark to see where you're at."
With Kellock, Scotland skipper during the Six Nations campaign, named among the substitutes, Rory Lawson has been handed the captaincy, with Ford promoted to vice-captain and leader of the forwards.
Ford does not anticipate the senior role will impact on him too much.
He added: "If there's something that needs saying during the game, I'll bring the forwards in and speak to them.
"Bar that, not much else will change for me. I'll try and lead from the front and put in a solid performance."
Despite his senior role, Ford is taking nothing for granted
With three hookers in the 38-man squad, which will be reduced to a 30-man World Cup party on August 22, Ford knows he must earn his place in New Zealand.
He added: "I've got to make sure my game's right to put my hand up and say to the coaches I'm good enough."
Part of Ford's preparation was his enforced break, which came as something of a relief.
"I was a little bit surprised but I was quite pleased because I wasn't performing as well as I like," he said.

ford
ford
ford
ford
ford
ford
ford
ford
ford
ford
ford

ford

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...